Saturday 27 March 2010

Ouch! That Hurts

With friends I have been introduced to a very energetic game called five-a-side football at our local recreational centre. We have all been playing for a few months and have had various injuries along the way resulting in people dropping out

It is played on a Thursday night and I had just collected the US$ from the bank for the trip and was looking forward to a good game of "Footy"

Turned out to be a four-a-side and a three-a-side with the team having three people playing rush goal keeper

I played in goal (team of four)for the latter part of the first half with the team of three putting up some brilliant attacks. I did think to myself quite safe here except for potential concussion from the ball hitting me in the head (previous match)

Very energetic stuff and at half time I removed my yellow bib and went onto the side of three to even up the play time.

Well with 10 mins to go from full time, a chance arose from a pass forward behind their defence, to run and shoot at the goal.

I ran and kicked the ball with a triumphant cheer in my head as the ball headed for the goal.......

Oooooh Noooooo!!!!! CRACK went the ankle! Down went the big guy (that's me, if you hadn't guessed?)


That was it, on the ground with nothing but panic in my head - this could affect the whole trip. Hobbled to the gents and put my bare foot in the sink and run cold water over it.
It still decided to balloon up good and proper.
After a few minutes I decided to return to watch the remainder of the match.
All were relieved to see that I could still bend and rotate my foot. (Yes it does hurt, even though I can move it)
Various suggestions were offered but one remedy I thought I would give a go is apparently a boxers trick, which is to wet a bar of soap and rub it into the swelling and leave it to dry. It hurts like hell to do and looks well stupid the next morning with dried soap all over it.

It did help a bit but the swelling was still up as you can see from the picture.

The bruising is coming out now and it is getting easier to move but still sore so no riding the bike this weekend.

All I can say, is that it would have been great to say that I had survived a vicious tackle, but no, it was just me falling over my own feet

Am I going to do any more football before I go?

"NO BLOODY WAY" that could have been a lot worse like an Achilles Tendon which Johnny's Dad did, resulting in 6 weeks of immobility.

So sorry chaps, will have to wait till July before I play again.

This has started me thinking on everything that could potentially scupper my trip plans, so bags of cotton wool at the ready to wrap myself up in and hopefully the ankle will display some properties of normality over the next few days

OUCH! sitting too long in one place makes it go stiff (the ankle please)and it hurts when I go to move.

SO TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment