Wednesday 9 June 2010

Higher and Higher 2nd June

Although we went through a border control for Tibet the other day we have not yet officially entered the Tibet region. All dirt miles today and the usual problems of trucks to overtake and let pass

The majority of the day will be ascending over 5000m over three passes and it is cold this morning at -2.5 Deg C due to the sun being behind the mountains. However, when the sun does show its face it elevates the temperature to a really sweltering 2 Deg C (not).
Up here the lakes are still thawing out and are covered in ice but there are one or two which are completely clear and calm



Even the locals can get it wrong “Big Style”

Endless gravel roads that are badly corrugated meaning the only comfy way to ride these are to stick to a steady 45-50 mph otherwise you are shaken to pieces. My favourite (not) sand starts to appear more on bends and these demands nerves of steel to let the front do what it wants to do and apply more throttle.
The dust gets everywhere and considering that we have three nights in Homestays it takes a far bit of flannel washing to get rid of the grime
Finally we get to signs of Tibet

Then we start to climb again and finally we are officially in Tibet, don’t ask, I do not what the signs are saying

Ok joyous moment over, as we have a lot more gravel roads to travel with more frozen lakes as it is still cold but bouncing around on the bike keeps you warm. The next picture is to reminding you all of what my bike should look like prior to me taking a tumble

I was 6 miles from the homestay when coming up to a bend I noticed sand so slowing down I got ready for it. You are always told to be confident and do not load the front up so in I went and giving just a little throttle, the slight bank I thought was there gave way and the back slid round. So I corrected and then it flicked harshly the other way. No you don’t you little mother, then it flicked the other way just as the sand ended and back onto gravel.
Down we go
“F$%K”
I jumped up as the engine was running and switched it off.
Now remember that I am at over 5000m at this point and I had gained quite a lead on everyone. So picking this baby up on my own, is going to be very hard work.
I did it and my heart and lungs felt like they were jumping out of my chest
Right next thing survey the damage, front spot light hanging off side protection bars on the skew and the cylinder head protector definitely on the skew. Finally the right hand pannier is all twisted out of shape.
Phew all repairable and the only thing to do know is gaffa tape the spot light in place



The pannier is back in shape but whether it will still be waterproof, only time will tell
Once the bike is back home I can sort these out to be as good as new (nearly) and then see what Wollaston will give me for her?
The remaining 6 miles were taken at a very sedate pace because every time I saw anything looking like sand, I avoided it like the plague
Will have to work on getting my confidence back up again tomorrow
OUCH! More bruising coming up around my ankle

7804 miles - Douma, Tibet

No comments:

Post a Comment